02 June, 2008

Climbing up Notre Dame Cathedral

On the two full days we had before Roland Garros started, we managed to get in quite a bit of sightseeing. Like most tourists we decided to visit the famous Notre Dame Cathedral, shown here from behind as shot from my vantage point on the Pont de la Tournelle. There's always a throng of people lining up to get inside the cathedral (it's free, after all), and since I had done that on a previous trip to Paris, I wasn't eager to brave the crowds.

As an alternative, my brother P., who did his research, suggested going up the cathedral's towers where we can see the various gargoyles and the huge bell. (Insert obligatory hunchback of Notre Dame reference here. Whatever). I hadn't known about this option so heartily agreed. Oh, a minor detail - this endeavor involved climbing up over 400 steps up the circular staircase all the way to the top! As the Notre Dame website happily advises, "It's best to be in good shape!". They should probably add, "Proof of medical insurance required". After a brief self-evaluation, I deemed myself fit and started the ascent.

The views from the top were simply magnificent and one could see for miles around, including landmarks such as the Eiffel tower and the various bridges connecting the opposing sides of the River Seine. In the picture, I believe the building in the foreground is the hotel de Ville (city hall). I loved the gargoyles with their different poses as well, like this one who looks like a typical Frenchman eating a ham and cheese baguette. Despite the daunting and strenuous climb, lots of camera-toting tourists made it up there, including some who dragged their 300 lb. frame up the stairs, one slow step at a time. The views were well worth the exercise (and potential heart attack), as I'm sure you'll agree.


No comments: