20 December, 2006

Salsa in San Miguel

Part VII - Ten Day Jaunt in Mexico

Stumbled upon quite a find today. Literally across the street from the hostel is Juan's cafe, a small (4 tables) cafe/restaurant serving the best coffee I tasted on the trip - strong, tasty and smooth. Later, in answer to my inquiry the owner said the coffee came from Oaxaca - I should find some back home, probably at Whole Foods. He's quite a jazz aficionado too - at another table three middle-aged American women were poring over his voluminous records collection, and he indulgently played the ones they chose.

Knocked myself out sightseeing today. In addition to walking around San Miguel de Allende, I opted to take the hour and a half-long trolley tour to learn more about the town's history. Won't bore you with the sordid stuff, but easily the highlight was going up to the mirador, from which one has a panoramic view of SMA. In theory, it's only a few blocks away from El Jardin, but quite a steep uphill walk, so I couldn't imagine doing that.

Despite my fatigued state, I found myself at Mama Mia's bar at 7pm for the FREE salsa lessons, given by Roberto and Trish on Tues and Wed nights. I found out about it thru Salsa Power, and fortunately they taught the style (on the 1) that I was familiar with. Pretty soon the duo were demonstrating a series of turns to us seven or so students crowding around the smallish dance floor. The 2 hours of lessons were jolly good fun, practice and exercise, all rolled into one (oh...my aching feet). Since I had stopped taking lessons back home, it was exhilarating to do salsa once again, and my spirits soared when they started playing my favorite salsa song, "Lluvia" (listen). After the lessons ended, Roberto invited me to return the following night (Wed) for the classes and group outing afterwards to El Ring, but unfortunately I would already be in Queretaro by then. Went back to the hostel hungry and barely standing, but with a big smile on my face.

No comments: