21 December, 2006

A Note for Newman

Part VIII - Ten Day Jaunt in Mexico

When all is said and done, the enduring memories from this trip result from the generosity and kindness of my "hosts", Marco and Hector, in Guanajuato and Queretaro, respectively. Both had never laid eyes on me previously but had graciously agreed to our common friends' request to show me around. Their company made my trip much more fun and laughter-filled than I had ever imagined, and provided an insight into local life and ways of thinking as well. Then there are the fellow travellers I met at the hostels - the comical Crazy Su and the extremely nice Swiss girl Simone. (Somehow I always meet a Swiss national on recent trips...what's up with that?).

I had gotten Hector's contact info from Katherine, and had sent him an email before arriving in Queretaro, informing him of the dates I would be staying at Hostal K'angi. His reply was prompt, but much to my puzzlement, it bore the signature "Omar". I assumed then that I had probably confused his name with another one of Katherine's friends who lived in Mexico, and looked forward to meeting Omar. That night, Simone and I had dinner at a Thai resto and upon returning to the hostel the proprietresses Ana and Isabel waved me over.

Isabel: "Hey Eric, is your last name Newman?"

Me (taken aback): "Noooo...why do you ask?"

Isabel: "Someone came around asking for a "Newman" who was supposed to be staying here. We thought it might be you".

Me: "What?! I am expecting someone to call for me, but I thought he knew my name was Eric, because we had exchanged emails previously".

Isabel: “No no, he was asking for a Newman". (Ana nods in agreement)

Me: "Was his name by any chance Omar?".

Ana (looking at me strangely): "No! The guy's name was Hector".

Me (shocked): "Hector?! Yeah, that might be him! But I thought his name was Omar".

At this point, the two girls were laughing hysterically at the confusion of me and this mysterious caller who couldn’t get each others names right. I hastened to explain the situation and why I had assumed Hector and Omar were two different people. Luckily enough, Hector (his full name is Hector Omar...duh) had left a note stating that he would be at a lounge called "La Casa de Cuerva" as part of a student arts group performing a tango show. As I stood there mulling how to find this place, Ana read the note and exclaimed, "Oh, its just right down the street at the corner". Indeed it was, about a thirty-second walk from the hostel! Crazy coincidence.
 
So I went over to La Casa, just a few minutes before the show started at 10pm. Had to pay the cover and drink yet more beer while watching the show which was pretty good. The ticket seller pointed out Hector to me, and after the we got to meet and chat for a few minutes. We agreed to meet the following night at the hostel. Ana and Isabel (pictured) greeted his arrival with more laughter at the remembrance of the previous night's confusion, and I got more ribbing from them. Along with Simone, we spent an enjoyable night eating French crepes, checking out the flood-lit Los Arcos, and conversing about a wide range of interesting topics.


P.S. This concludes the series of posts from Mexico. My next trip awaits.

No comments: