14 December, 2005

High-Ho, Off to Honduras We Go

Note: This is the second part of my misadventures in obtaining a Honduran visa. Click here to read the first part.

Still feeling a bit uneasy even after my visit to the NYC consulate, the next day I decided to pretend that my work deadlines didn't exist and concentrate instead on resolving this matter once and for all. I had a bright idea: I would seek answers from the other consulates (LA, Chicago, DC) who would then hopefully confirm the New York consulate's verdict. As bad luck would have it, all three conversations pretty much followed the same script: A non-English speaking staffer picks up the phone. I then draw a deep breath and forge ahead in explaining the problem as best I could en Espanol. Afterwards, the staffer would state that, "Yes, you do need a visa", and then recite the same laundry list of required documents. I say goodbye, slam the phone in disgust, and draw a deep sigh of despair.

Spurred into action, the following morning I showed up promptly at 9am at the NYC consulate and was the only person in line. There I was assisted by Jessica, who immediately told me that I DID NOT need a visa, but they would have to put a stamp on my passport which stated that I did not need a visa. Confusing? As I digested this information, she handed me the same exact five page application form that I had filled up a couple of weeks ago!!! After having secured the official exemption stamp, I dared ask her why all the consulates (or even colleagues working in the same branch) give out wildly different information, thus confusing every Honduras-bound traveller born in a third world country. Matter of factly, Jessica replied, "Because no one in any of the offices can understand the manual!! Only I, since I have read it so many times!". Normally this would've presented a perfect opening for dishing out a sarcastic comment, but I just kept my mouth shut and thanked my lucky stars she was on hand this particular day.

So after enduring all these, those Mayan ruins at Copan and the Bay Islands better be worth the trouble!

No comments: